Current Research Interests
Two studies have recently been completed upon the Influence of pre-weaning nutrition on sexual development in bulls and The effects of acidosis on sperm quality in the bull. These have been funded by Ridley Agriproducts and the QSML.
Funding from the ARC link scheme has enabled funding into the effects of nutrition during pregnancy on sperm morphology and bull puberty. This has been co funded by S. Kidman and Co and Ridley Agriproducts
Sperm morphology examination and reporting in Australasia a study funded by QSML showing the effects of breed, location and season upon abnormalities.
Diet during heifer pregnancy affects calf development
The effects of nutrition during pregnancy upon placentation and blood flow in the heifer, weaner growth, immune competence in the neonate and calf neonatal behaviour are studies currently under publication.
Published research by Viv Perry
- “Effect of breed, age, season and region on sperm morphology in 11,387 bulls submitted to breeding soundness evaluation in Australia”. Judy Felton-Taylor, Kelli A. Prosser, Juan H. Hernandez-Medrano,Sheridan Gentili, Katrina J. Copping, Paula E Macrossan and Viv E.A. Perry (2019) Theriogenology (accepted).
- “Maternal periconceptional and first trimester protein restriction in beef heifers: Impacts upon placental parameters, and fetal and neonatal calf development”. (2019) K. J. Copping, J. Hernandez- Medrano. A. Hoare, K. Hummitzsch, I. Caroline McMillen, J.L. Morrison, R.J. Rodgers, V.E.A. Perry, Reproduction, Fertility and Development (accepted)
- “Low protein intake during the preconception period in beef heifers affects offspring and maternal behavior”. Miguel-Pacheco, Giuliana G.,Perry, Viv E. A, Hernandez-Medrano, Juan H.,Wapenaar, Wendela,Keisler, Duane H., Voigt, J. Peter. (2019) Applied Animal Behaviour Science 215: 1-6
- “The Effects of Developmental Programming upon Neonatal Mortality.” (2019) V.E.A. Perry, K. J. Copping, G. Miguel-Pacheco, J. Hernandez- Medrano., Veterinary Clinics of North America. Food Animal Practice;35(2). ISBN 978-0-323-678841
- “Morphometric analyses and gene expression related to germ cells, gonadal ridge epithelial-like cells and granulosa cells during development of the bovine fetal ovary” Hummitzsch K, Hatzirodos N, Irving-Rodgers H.F ,Hartanti, M. D, Perry, V. E. A, Anderson, R. A, Rodgers R. J.. PLoS One 2019;14:e0214130.
- “Morphometric and gene expression analyses of stromal expansion during development of the bovine fetal ovary.” (2018) Hartanti M. D., Hummitzsch K., Irving-Rodgers H. F., Bonner W. M., Copping K. J., Anderson R. A., McMillen I. C., Perry V. E. A., Rodgers R. J. Reproduction, Fertility and Development doi.org/10.1071/RD18218
- “Transcriptional analysis of adipose tissue during development reveals depot-specific responsiveness to maternal dietary supplementation”. Fainberg HP, Birtwistle M, Alagal R, Pope, M. Davies, G.Woods, R. Castellanos, M.May, S. T.Ortori, C. A.Barrett, D. A. Perry, V.,Wiens, F.Stahl, B.van der Beek, E.Sacks, H.Budge, H.Symonds, M. E Scientific Reports 2018;8.
- “Ontogeny and thermogenic role for sternal fat in female sheep”. Henry BA, Pope M, Birtwistle M, Loughnan R, Alagal R, Fuller-Jackson JP, Perry V, Budge H, Clarke IJ, Symonds ME. Endocrinology 2017;158:2212-2225.
- “Peri-conception and first-trimester diet modifies reproductive development in bulls” K. J. Copping , M. D. Ruiz-Diaz , C. S. Rutland, N. P. Mongan, M. J. Callaghan, I. C. McMillen, R. J. Rodgers and V. E. A. Perry. (2018) Reproduction, Fertility and Development 30 pp 703-720
- “Subacute ruminal acidosis reduces sperm quality in beef bulls” Callaghan M.J., McAuliffe P., Rodgers R.J, Hernandez-Medrano. J., and Perry V.E.A. (2016) Journal of Animal Science 94 pp 3215-3228.
- “Increased dietary protein in the second trimester of gestation increases live weight gain and carcass composition in weaner calves to 6 months of age.” Miguel-Pacheco, G. G, Curtain, L.D, Rutland, C, Knott L, Norman, S.T, Phillips N.J, Perry V.E.A. Animal (2016).: 1-9.
- “Epigenetics and developmental programming of welfare and production traits in farm animals’ Sinclair KD, Rutherford KMD , Wallace JM , Brameld JM, Stöger R Alberio,R, Sweetman D Gardner D S, Perry VEA , Adam CL , Ashworth CJ, Robinson JE and Dwyer CM. Reproduction, Fertility and Development”.RD16102.R1. (2016) 28 pp 1443-1478.
- “The influence of peri-conception and first trimester dietary restriction of protein in cattle on meat quality traits of entire male progeny”. T. Alvarenga, K.J. Copping, X.Han, E. Clayton, Meyer, R.Rodgers, R..McMillen, I. C, Perry, V. E. A. G.Geesink, Meat Science. (2016) 121 pp 141-147.
- “Maternal endocrine adaptation throughout pregnancy to nutrient manipulation: consequences for sexually dimorphic programming of thyroid hormones and development of their progeny” G. C. Micke, T.M. Sullivan, D.Kennaway, J. Hernandez- Medrano, V.E.A. Perry (2015) Theriogenology 83 , pp. 604-615.
- “Sperm Morphology Evaluation and Reporting in Australia” J.Felton-Taylor, K.A .Prosser, V.E.A. Perry (2014) Australian Cattle Veterinarian 72: 23.
- “Sperm Abnormalities: A pain in the gut” M.Callaghan, P.McAuliffe, V.E.A. Perry (2014) Australian Cattle Veterinarian 72:16.
- “Fetal programming in 2yo calving heifers: peri-conception and first trimester protein supplementation alters fetal growth in a sex-specific manner” K. J. Copping, A. Hoare, M. Callaghan, I.C. McMillen, R.J. Rodgers , V.E.A. Perry (2014) Anim. Prod. Sci. 54:1334-1337.
- Book “Veterinary bull breeding soundness evaluation.” Beggs, D., Bertram, J., Chenoweth, P., Entwistle, K., Fordyce, G., Johnston, H., Johnston, P., McGowan, M., Niethe, G., Norman, S. and Perry, V. Brisbane, QLD, Australia: Australian Veterinary Association,( 2013).
- “Heifer nutrient intake during early- and mid-gestation programs adult offspring adiposity and mRNA expression of growth-related genes in adipose depots” G. C. Micke, T.M. Sullivan, I. C. McMillen, S. Gentili, V. E.A. Perry (2011) Reproduction 141: 1-10.
- “Protein intake during gestation affects postnatal bovine skeletal muscle growth and relative expression of IGF1, IGF1R, IGF2 and IGF2R” G.C. Micke, T.M. Sullivan, I.C. McMillen, S. Gentili, V.E.A. Perry (2011) Mol.Cell.Endocrinol. 332: 234-241.
- Book “Electroejaculators, Morphology and Microscopes”, Johnston, Helen, Johnston, Peter, McAuliffe, Peter and Perry, Viv Brisbane, QLD, Australia: Australian Veterinary Association, 2010.
- “Nutrient intake of Bos indicus x heifers during early- and mid-gestation causes sex-specific changes in progeny liveweight, height and plasma IGF-I and -II postnatally” G.C. Micke, T.M. Sullivan, K.L. Gatford, J.A. Owens, V.E.A. Perry (2010) Anim.Reprod Sci. 117:1-10.
- “Dystocia in three-year-old beef heifers; Relationship to maternal nutrient intake during early- and mid-gestation, pelvic area and hormonal indicators of placental function”. G.C. Micke T.M. Sullivan, P.J. Rolls, B. Hasell, R.M. Greer, S.T. Norman, V.E.A. Perry. (2010) Anim. Reprod.Sci. 118: 163-170.
- “Dietary manipulation of Bos indicus X heifers during gestation affects the prepubertal reproductive development of their bull calves” Sullivan TM, Micke GC, Greer RM, Perry VEA (2010) Anim Reprod Sci; 118: 131-139.
- “Heifer nutrition during early- and mid-pregnancy alters fetal growth trajectory and birth weight” G.M. Micke, T.M. Sullivan, S. Norman S, P. Rolls, Perry VEA Anim.Reprod.Sci (2010) ;117: 1-10.
- “Dietary protein and energy during gestation affects maternal IGF, IGFBP, leptin and fetal growth in heifers” T.M. Sullivan, G.C. Micke, N. Perkins, G.B. Martin, C.R. Wallace, K.L. Gatford, J.A. Owens, V.E.A. Perry (2009) J.Anim.Sci; 87:3304-3316.
- “Dietary protein during gestation affects hormonal indicators of placental function and fetal development in heifers” T.M. Sullivan, G.C. Micke, R.S. Magalhaes, G.B. Martin, C.R. Wallace, J.A. Green, V.E.A. Perry (2009) Placenta; 30:348-354.
- “Influences of diet during gestation on the potential postpartum reproductive performance and milk production in beef heifers.” T.M. Sullivan, G.C. Micke, V.E.A. Perry (2009) Theriogenology 72:1202-1214.
- “Dietary protein during gestation affects placental development in heifers”. Sullivan TM, Micke GC, Magalhaes RS, Phillips NJ, Perry VEA (2009) Theriogenology, 72:427-438.
- “Dietary manipulation of Bos indicus X heifers during gestation affects the reproductive development of their heifer calves.” Sullivan TM, Micke GC, Greer RM, Irving-Rodgers H, Rodgers RJ, Perry VEA (2009) Reproduction, Fertility and Development, 21 (6):773–784.
- Fibrillins and latent TGF_ binding proteins in bovine ovaries of offspring following high or low protein diets during pregnancy of dams Mark J. Prodoehla, Helen F. Irving-Rodgers,Wendy M. Bonner, T. M. Sullivan, Gina C. Micke, Mark A. Gibson, Vivienne E. Perry, Raymond J. Rodgers (2009) Mol Cell Endocrinol, 307(1-2):133-41.
- “Standardising Bull Breeding Soundness Evaluations and reporting in Australia” Fordyce G, Entwistle K, Norman S, Perry VEA, Gardiner B, Fordyce P. (2006) Theriogenology, 66:1140-48.
- Book Chapter “Semen Collection and Evaluation” Perry VEA, Phillips N, Fordyce G, Gardner B, Entwistle K, Chenoweth P and Doogan V (2002) In Bull Fertility: Selection and Management. Eds. Fordyce and Entwistle, p5.1-5.19.
- “Insulin like growth factor levels during pregnancy in the cow are affected by protein supplementation in the maternal diet” VEA Perry, ST Norman, PC Owens, RCW Daniel, P Grant, VJ Doogan (2002) Anim Reprod Sci., 72(1-2):1-10.
- “Heritability of mating behaviour traits in beef bulls” (2001) Wade C.M., Bertram J.D, Pullen B, V.E.A. Perry. Proc. Assoc. Advmt. Anim. Breed. Genetic, 14:341-344.
- “Low dietary protein during early pregnancy bovine placental development” V.E.A Perry, S.T Norman, J.A. Owens, R.C.W. Daniel, N.Phillips (1999) Animal Reproduction. Science, 55:13-21
- “The effects of feeding whole cotton seed on the fertility of bulls”. P.M.V Cusack and V.E.A. Perry (1995) Australian Veterinary Journal, 72(12):463-466.
- “Patterns of Development of Gonads, Sex-Drive and Hormonal Responses in Tropical Beef Bulls” V.E.A. Perry, P.J. Chenoweth, T.B. Post and R.K. Munro (1991) Theriogenology, 35(2):473-86.
- “Relationships among male and female reproductive traits” V.E.A. Perry, P.J.Chenoweth, T.B. Post and R.K. Munro (1990) Australian Veterinary Journal, 67(1):4-5.
- “Fertility Indices for Beef Bulls” V.E.A. Perry, P.J. Chenoweth, T.B. Post and R.K. Munro (1990) Australian Veterinary Journal, 67(1):13-6.
- “A Refresher on Sperm Morphology” – Proceedings of AVA Annual Conference, Brisbane, 2018. V.E.A. Perry